Life as a student journalist: Newswriting and the Code of Ethics

Back to Article
Back to Article

Want to know what it's like being a reporter for The Pinion? Newswriting students learn the basics of journalism and will advance on their way from reporter to editor.

By An Vo

By An Vo

By An Vo

An Vo, reporter

Learning blogs are short articles that talk about what a journalist has learned. It started in 2013-2014 but has been stopped for unknown reasons. I wanted to try to bring back this trend as it’s a part of The Pinion’s traditions.

What is Newswriting?

Newswriting is a curricular and production class that allows its students to have the opportunity to work with other people to produce the school’s student-led newspaper titled “The Pinion.”

Everything that reporters write about should be focused on the readers of The Pinion. In order to get information to write articles about what our readers care about, we, as Pinion staffers, ask lots of questions.

Journalists have to be specific in everything they do. We use notebooks to jot down information and a recorder to record the story to ensure accuracy.

When interviewing people, reporters must introduce themselves as a member of a newspaper. In this case, I would refer to myself as a reporter for The Pinion.

Reporters also need to say what they’re looking for in the interview; it can be an opinion about an event or a surprising piece of information about the source.

To end the interview, the reporter must ask the source to sign the notebook to prove that the interview isn’t flawed.

Code of Ethics

Seek Truth and Report It – Journalists should take responsibility for their work by gathering, reporting, and interpreting information. Using credible sources whenever possible and verifying information before publishing is a must.

Minimize Harm – Ethical journalists treat their sources with respect. Using common sense and thinking before doing is crucial to being a successful journalist.

Act Independently – Committing your own time to fulfill the role of a journalist such as interviewing people and putting their quotes into a story is vital. Everyone must do their part to ensure the newspaper’s completion.

Be Accountable and Transparent – Being accountable to your readers, listeners, viewers, and other journalists is an important skill to have. Being punctual and providing what’s needed before deadlines will build a strong character.