Student Voice of McKinley High School

The Pinion

Tiger athletes volunteer at Great Aloha, Keiki Run

Alexandria Buchanan, assistant editor

As most students slept in on Monday during Presidents Day weekend, student athletes from McKinley HS woke up early to volunteer at the Keiki Run on Feb. 18 from 6-9 a.m., and the Great Aloha Run on Feb. 20 from 4-8 a.m.

Junior Suzie Park, a member on the girls varsity basketball team was one of the athletes volunteering for these events.

“Volunteering is important because it gives a chance for people to give back to their community and meet new people,” Park said. “Volunteering for sports teams is good because it allows teams to spend time with each other outside from the sport we play together.”

Another athlete who volunteered is Aaron Kwon, a player on the junior varsity boys basketball team.

“I think volunteering is important because it’s good for the community. It was a cool experience,” Kwon said.

Students from the girls and boys basketball team, baseball team, cheerleaders, boys and girls soccer, swimming, tennis, paddling, golf, judo, and waterpolo got together to help make grab bags for children, keep streets safe for children to run on, clean and encourage runners.

“[Volunteering is] a way to teach athletes to give back to their community without expecting or getting anything in return,” said Bob Morikuni, athletic director.

“Just learning to give and always not having to get something back [is important for athletes to learn],” Morikuni said.