A Beautiful Ballet

Sean Gleason, Print Design Co-Editor

This was my first time attending a ballet and being exposed to Disney’s Cinderella story. I had no idea what I was walking into. Approaching the entrance of the Blaisdell Concert Hall, I knew I was attending something big.

I had no idea how many people would be attending and was completely taken aback by the massive crowd of all ages waiting to get in. In addition, there were a fair amount of students attending the performance.

I was pumped and ready to delve right into the thick of things.

From the moment I took my seat, I was anxiously awaiting the beginning of the performance. When the ballet began, the silence of the hall was so eerie. It was  different from other entertainment that I’ve attended like rock concerts and comedy shows.

As the ballet progressed, I was constantly thinking about what was going on – who was who, what they were doing, why they did what did, etc.

I could easily decipher the story because of the elegant and professional performance from the dancers. Their movements and expressions made the show, literally and metaphorically. It was so elegant, smooth and graceful, leaving me anticipating and restless during intermissions, which occurred at pinnacle points in the storyline.

I also enjoyed the various comedic shenanigans of the two stepsisters. It was refreshing to see them time and time again. Seeing comedy in this style too was very unique to witness.

In the end, I hadn’t realized that hours had passed and it was time to go already.

Beautiful, I’d say describes every aspect of the ballet I witnessed that night.

(You still have time to enjoy Ballet Hawaii’s full production of Cinderella featuring choreography by Septime Webre, Artistic Director of The Washington Ballet. There are shows Saturday, August 10 at 7:30 pm, and Sunday August 11 at 2:00 pm at Blaisdell Concert Hall. Tickets are on sale Now and start at $35.00.)