Student Voice of McKinley High School

The Pinion

Disney’s Polynesian Princess, Moana, scores big

Tenacious teenager Moana (voice of Auliʻi Cravalho) recruits a demigod named Maui (voice of Dwayne Johnson) to help her become a master wayfinder and sail out on a daring mission to save her people. Directed by the renowned filmmaking team of Ron Clements and John Musker, produced by Osnat Shurer, and featuring music by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Mancina and Opetaia Foa‘i, “Moana” sails into U.S. theaters on Nov. 23, 2016.  ©2016 Disney. All Rights Reserved.

Tenacious teenager Moana (voice of Auliʻi Cravalho) recruits a demigod named Maui (voice of Dwayne Johnson) to help her become a master wayfinder and sail out on a daring mission to save her people. Directed by the renowned filmmaking team of Ron Clements and John Musker, produced by Osnat Shurer, and featuring music by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Mancina and Opetaia Foa‘i, “Moana” sails into U.S. theaters on Nov. 23, 2016. ©2016 Disney. All Rights Reserved.

By DISNEY

By DISNEY

Kirt Choi, reporter

I went to Windward Mall  to watch the long-anticipated Disney movie “Moana” on Nov. 25.  The ticket line stretched down the walkway into the mall. Everyone in the theater was making noise because they were eager for the movie to start.

Once the movie started, everyone became quiet. Nobody moved, even to go get a drink/snack or to use the bathroom. The staff in the theaters were very cooperative even though they were busy.

The staff members were treating the customers with respect and were helpful. If someone asked where the bathroom was,  they directed them to the bathroom.

The food and snacks were freshly made, hot and tasty. The drinks were smooth and tasty as well.

A good movie has characters that we care about. Moana was a brave and curious young woman who has been longing to embark on the journey beyond the reef. Maui, a lost demigod, was funny and brave. He would do anything for his people, like capture the sun.

It was a great animated movie. The characters looked very real and the wardrobe was very accurate. The water which was a character looked realistic too. Moana had cultural music that reflected Polynesian culture. Such as Tuvalu, Samoan and Tongan.

It had an engaging plot. It started off when Moana was an infant who was always being told stories about the famous demigod Maui. She started growing more curious about leaving the island to voyage as did her ancestors.

Maui had great strength and power. He was knocked out of the sky by the volcano demon after trying to steal the heart from Teviti. He was never seen again for thousands of years. Moana started on her voyage beyond the reef and ended up getting beached by a storm. When she woke up on an island, she met Maui. It also had a great ending, but you’ll have to see it for yourself.