The Pinion

Echoes by Alice Reeds

A Roller Coaster of Mystery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Echoes by Alice Reeds

The romantic night sky on a stranded island.

By Kelvin Ku

By Kelvin Ku

By Kelvin Ku

Kelvin Ku, assistant editor

Echoes is one of the best mysteries I’ve read, the roller coaster of surprises throughout the story and the repeated plot twists had me constantly on the edge of my seat. It may seem “cringey” for a few but it is definitely is worth a try if you like mystery and romance. There were so many questions throughout the book leaving me anxious to find out more. It was one of those books where I just couldn’t stop reading.

With so many plot twists and mysteries, my brain was constantly trying to figure them out but never able to. The book’s two main characters, the protagonist Fiona and her hated rival Miles. Humiliated and called pathetic in the past she hated his every bone, he was extremely arrogant causing them often to get into arguments.

Then one day she was selected for a scholarship to a trip to Britain for a company called Briola Bio Tech but against all odds, she was partnered with Miles. Miles had a reputation of being intelligent getting all A’s in school, what we’d call a 4.0 student. Despite being paired with her hated rival she was excited going to Britain as she’d always wanted to go. Happy feeling she’d have a good time despite Miles she had received an ominous text from one of best friends as they arrived in Britain. Fiona confused by her best friends text starts suspecting Miles because of it.

Investigating more they see that the company they thought had existed no longer existed and they couldn’t contact any of their acquaintances. Confused at their situation they try to leave but soon understand it’s futile as they are trapped in a foreign land. As they struggle more Fiona finds herself learning side of miles she couldn’t have even imagined. As she understands more she realizes he is indeed trustworthy as she decides to trust him. As they confide in each other they find out mysteriously is as they sleep they have the same Lucid dream every night. Horrified they try to figure out which is dream and reality.

In the second world, their plane had crashed leaving them stranded on a deserted island.  Trapped together they learn to put aside their differences to survive. Stranded with rescue looking bleak they explored the island to figure out its mysteries. As they investigate more they find shocking truths and more mysteries behind them.

As they come closer to the truth they begin to grow closer depending on each other becoming more than just friends. As they learn more they despair at their situation but endure relying on each other for hope as they trudge towards a slight crack of light. Little do they know the mystery runs far deeper than they could ever fathom.

Kelvin Ku, assistant editor

My name is Kelvin Ku and I am a Junior attending McKinley High School. My hobbies are reading and my favorite book is warlock of the magus world about...