School encourages sports attendance

Lin Song, Web Co-Editor

Every day, there are announcements of the upcoming matches. There are athletes training hard at the tennis court or practicing for football games on campus.

Nevertheless, sometimes it is just like students are watching those guys preparing for the games while keeping out of the affair themselves most of the time.

“I’ve never watched our school’s sport matches before.” said a junior. Her reasons are no time, no interests. It is true that not everyone loves sports and wants to join it. On the other hand, because of homework, applying for colleges and other social arrangements, students who would have gone to watch a game find themselves unable have time to do it.

In the meantime, there are also students who are passionate with sports. They not only play sports but they also go to see the matches very often. An athlete said that she would feel glad and confident if more students can come to the games. It is kind support and approval for the athletes. Every moment of their struggle is worthy of an applause.

Observing from some football games, there are some “blank squares” in the benches. Separate crowds sit around.

“The atmosphere is exciting enough and the audience is cheering for the teams. Nonetheless, more of them are better.” said a coach.

Principal Ron Okamura thinks the attendance of the matches has been getting better and he wants more students to become spectators of the matches. “The school sport should also be connected to the communities” he said. Having the residents come to watch the games is also important. School is an important part of the community. Parents are concerned about their children and their children’s education.

Since school reaches a certain high level in people’s hearts, it would be possible for residents to care about the activities in the school. They may also want to watch a football match on a Friday evening. Despite this, the relationship still needs promoting. There are numerous posters, as well as, news about Mckinley sports on the school website, but there is still a problem to advertise in the communities, as well as, encouraging people in the community to care for Mckinley sports.

Come to see the game as a support to the athletes and the school’s teams. This way people can also enjoy themselves. “It’s kind of entertainment to go to the matches with friends,” a freshman said.