The Pinion

The fate of Fortnite

What do people think will happen to Fortnite within the next few years?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The fate of Fortnite

Fortnite has rapidly gained popularity this year and has a large number of players from around the world. 
photo by Flickr

Fortnite has rapidly gained popularity this year and has a large number of players from around the world. photo by Flickr

Ryan Vanairsdale, reporter

Fortnite is a free to play battle royale game that experienced a massive growth in players around late 2017 to now, and it continues to grow. In August of 2018, Fortnite was recorded as having nearly 80 million players. The growth and demographic can be compared to that of Minecraft, which experienced a similar expansion around 2012. They both offered something special, with Minecraft having an open world and Fortnite being accessible to everyone. If Fortnite follows the same trend as Minecraft did, that could mean bad news in a few years.

Anna Huang, a freshman at McKinley High School, thinks it will experience a decline in growth due to the oversaturation of content.

“Most games tend to die, like Minecraft for example,” Huang said. “People play so much that they’re gonna start getting bored of it because of the amount of content there is,”

Freshman Ryan Tran also thinks that Fortnite will experience a shrink in its player base within the next few years. He said that he thinks a new game might replace its role. Given the fast advancement of games in terms of what’s available and what’s possible, this outcome is possible.

“In a few years, I think it’s going to die… maybe a new game will take its place,” Tran said.

Mr. Choy, the advisor of the eSports Club, also thought Fortnite would experience a decline in its player growth. He explained that Fortnite was repetitive and the only thing that would change were the skins. He said that Fortnite would need to find a way to make the game more competitive if they wanted to retain their players within the next few years.

“It’s like the same old thing except for different skins… they’re going to keep generating new skins; the newest skins are the NFL skins. But they’re going to have to find a way to make it more competitive,” Choy said.

Ryan Vanairsdale, head reporter

My name is Ryan Vanairsdale, and you should probably sound out my last name if you want to pronounce it. I am a head reporter for The Pinion. I am a freshman...