Student Voice of McKinley High School

The Pinion

Eating lunch on/off campus

A frequently talked-about issue among teenagers

Example+of+one+of+the+lunches+served+at+MHS%2C+it+features+pizza%2C+milk%2C+peaches%2C+vegetables+and+coleslaw.+
Example of one of the lunches served at MHS, it features pizza, milk, peaches, vegetables and coleslaw.

By Thompson Wong

By Thompson Wong

Kelvin Ku, reporter

Lunch time is the long-awaited break for students, where we can munch and relax. Rules banning students from going offcampus during lunch period should be changed.

Many petitions from schools around the country state how students should be allowed to go off campus for school lunch. Students think better when they are not hungry, and although schools aren’t forcing students to starve, some students simply just aren’t willing to eat school lunch or bring home lunch.

Studies published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Pediatrics, and the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry show that students that are hungry get lower scores on math tests and are more likely to repeat a grade. Making sure that students are able to eat food they like is an important part of their education and health.

Some may say students should just eat school lunch. People will feel happier eating what they want.

Schools nationally began phasing in provisions of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act in 2012. A year later, the average daily student participation rate for total lunches served began falling. A year ago, it had declined by about 1.2 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

High school students are told to practice their freedom and learn independence. Being able to leave campus and coming back to school on time is a responsibility adults have.

There are health problems concerning students eating at fast food restaurants is a valid concern, however, they are responsible for how they decide to spend their money.

Allowing students to eat lunch off campus would also reduce long lunch lines. Students would be able to get their lunch quicker and have more time to eat. Lately, lunch lines have become long and students with second lunch often need to stand in line for long periods of time.

Allowing students to eat off campus during lunch will address the problem of students not eating and allow students to exercise independence and become more responsible.

High schools prepare students to make their own decisions.

Safety is an valid issue, but allowing students to drive to school is just as dangerous as allowing students to go off campus for lunch. They are not walking onto a battlefield, and are likely not that far from school campus.

The goal of a public education system should be to ensure the best for its students and allowing students to leave campus during lunch will help students be happy and full during school hours. This will allow them to succeed in the classroom.