The Hawaii Five-O experience

Jocel Siapno, reporter

The set of Hawaii Five-0 shoots for their upcoming episode,Ka Ho’oponopono at McKinley High School on December 1. McKinley High School was changed into a different school named Ala Moana Academy.

The crew of the show is composed of 150 to 200 people according to Erika Kauffman, unit publicist of the show. They had made many changes that they have done around campus. The changes were there are lockers and hallway in the Administration building, the Oval and some of the rooms on campus.

The Pinion, got a chance to shadow and talk to the crew of the said show. Kauffman guides The Pinion staff and taught them different aspects on how they film the show and what kind of job each crew member does. Among the crew, we got to meet the director, Steve Boyum, the sound mixer, Walter Anderson and other crew. They also got a chance to talk to Lauren German and Scott Caan, some of the main cast of the said show.

During their shadowing, they were taught some terms they use in filming like “last looks,” which means the wardrobe crew will set up the actors before they film a scene. Also, they showed them what instruments that they use during their filming such as the boom mics. According to Kauffman, their whole day of shooting, which is consist of 12 to 14 hours is only equivalent to 5 minutes of the show.

The actors advise the students to gain the success they needed.

Caan answered, “The only thing that you can control is how hard you work so you have to study harder and be more dedicated… For me, the luckiest people are the ones who worked the hardest.”

German also added, “perseverance and you should love what you do.”

Even actors get nervous too. German said she gets nervous “all the time,” but she likes that nervousness whenever she’s on her first day on a new job or project.

Coming to McKinley High School reminds Caan and German about their high school life.

“I have a lot of fun (in high school)” said Caan.

“I was studious in high school and didn’t have to much friends…It doesn’t really matter if you end up to do something that you love… Don’t do drugs and go to school.” added German.

The best part of his character said Caan is that he is able to put his self into his part and he doesn’t want to do things that is far-away from who he is.

German on the other hand, said it is frustrating because she is “completely immature, have a sense of humor” and the character that she plays is very “analytical and straight.”

The Episode, Ka Ho’oponopono is scheduled to air on December 19. This episode is about the editor of the school newspaper, The Weekly Moana, that is up to an evil scheme. The Five-O team goes to Ala Moana Academy to investigate a murder of a student and questions one of the victim’s friends.