Spreading the love on Valentine’s Day

Jane Lavea, Web Co-Editor

The United States is one of the many places in the world that celebrates Valentine’s Day on February 14. Candies, flowers and gifts are given to loved ones. People give them to their families or to their significant other. Valentine’s Day is celebrated with love, but what do the students at McKinley High School think of love? What does it mean to be in love? Valentine’s Day means different things to different people.

Over the centuries, this holiday has evolved and by the 18th century Valentine’s Day has become common in many countries. Valentine’s Day is celebrated in the middle of February to commemorate the anniversary of Valentine’s death or burial.

“To me, love can mean many things… like caring for my family and friends without being selfish and putting them before yourself… it doesn’t have to be all that lovey dovey stuff you do with your boyfriend or girlfriend,” Victoria Hasiak said.

Valentine’s Day is not a public holiday; it is like any other day. It is also the day to celebrate one’s love for another so restaurants can be a little busier than its usual.

“Love is when you put someone before yourself. When you find love you forget about all the negative things and just focus on the good things that are happening,” Raquel Gonzalez-Salazar said.

Valentine’s Day is not always about being in a relationships, it can also mean expressing your love for those who care about you.

“Well sometimes, love can mean caring about someone with all of you whether it’s family or significant others. To be in love means to do things you wouldn’t normally do for others and giving a part of yourself to someone,” Kanani Smythe said.

Some people on Facebook and twitter write, “Valentine’s Day sucks, I’m forever alone” or “I don’t liking feeling alone on Valentine’s Day,” but is that all there is in Valentine’s Day? Is it about being in love and proving your love to one another on that one day? Is love enough to fulfill your needs? What makes Valentine’s Day so different when you can show that person you love that you love them every single day?