The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

McNabb teaches students at McKinley; A Math Teacher and His Academic Chronicles

Photo by Brian Cruz

Tommy McNabb, a new math teacher at McKinley High School, works in A-213, renovated with new chairs, plants and paintings, Both to his Aglaonema plant and his students, he cares for them.

McNabb said he finds teaching challenging, needing to stay organized, planning, and dealing with the problem of student motivation. Yet, McNabb said he is optimistic about teaching. He said he believes his students have the ability and potential to learn and wants to find out how to have his students care for their education, assignments and school.

“The students are very friendly, as are the teachers,” McNabb said.

Before coming to McKinley, McNabb worked as a math tutor. He chose his job not only because he likes math as a subject wholly, but because he enjoys explaining and helping people learn. Coming to McKinley, McNabb also chose the profession of math teacher because math is straightforward with what is correct and incorrect.

“I think intellectual life is enriching,” McNabb said.

If McNabb could choose a job other than a teacher, he would like to work in the sports industry. He would also consider a college professor, or a book reviewer because he likes reading, although he is not adept in writing.

In an effort to furnish A-213, McNabb picked up a few paintings from art teacher Star Padilla. One painting is about mental health and another is about caring for the Earth.  McNabb chose these paintings to furnish the bare walls and spread a good message. A third painting displays a school hallway with Magritte-esque students with phone faces. McNabb chose this painting to “inspire self-reflection in students.”

If you have problems, McNabb warmly invites you to come to A-213 to visit.