The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Making Memories In High School

High school is a place where everyone goes at some point in their life. Meeting new people, finding out your likes and dislikes and joining clubs are all common high school experiences. Students at McKinley reflected on their high school experiences, thoughts and feelings regarding memories in high school.

Jasmine Le (c/o 2025) said she’s maintaining her student life, playing sports, experiencing high school to the fullest and making memories along the way.

“People can teach you so many things and you’ll gain more experience in life. And you’re able to accomplish things you want to achieve,” Le said. “Sometimes I wish I did something else. So I’m still happy I tried to do something or I tried something new.”

Mana Akana (c/o 2024), leaves some words of advice for the underclassmen.

“Focus on the moments you have,” Akana said. “Regardless of memories, live the moment you have to the fullest.”

Akana’s high school experience was cut short due to COVID and personal reasons, leaving her feel lost.

“Please, enjoy your time you have before it’s too late,” she said.

Health teacher Jodi Tanabe-Hanzawa said she believes making memories in high school is important as high school is a one-time experience.

“I remember numerous memorable events, both great and negative. All of them are events I will never forget and learned lessons from many of them. (We) did things we weren’t supposed to do but grew up and learned from them.” she said, “We did things and, I mean, you learn from it.”

Tanabe-Hanzawa encourages students to get involved with clubs, activities or sports their freshmen year or to at least go out. However, they always wait.

“That’s why they (students) realize like oh, I should have done this. I should have done that. And they’re already one year behind because they don’t go out their freshmen year,” she said.

Tanabe-Hanzawa thinks it’s important to experience things because you’ll remember those things.

“Even if you get involved and you decide you don’t like it, you don’t have to do it anymore,” she said. “You can choose something else, but you never know unless you try.”