The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

A Cosplayers Point of View

By Cheska Orias
Side by side compraison of Jewel Ann Sophia Cortes(c/o 2026) cosplaying as Hastune Miku. The orginal artist of Hastune Miku being Kei Garō, and the orginal creator of the voice bank being Sasaki Wataru a software developer at Crypton Future Media. Inc

​Cosplay is a word play of “costume play.” In cosplay individuals dress up in costumes and fashion to represent a specific character. That character can come from a TV show, movie, or video game. Out of the 301 participants who responded to a survey conducted by The Pinion, about 40 % had some kind of grasp on what it is and 20% actively participate in it.

Students from the Art and Manga club (AMC) attended the event, Kawaii Kon March 2024, where people participated in cosplay. Irene Tanaka, one of the advisers for AMC, attended the event with the club members; and is a cosplayer herself. She started in college doing simple hair, and makeup and hand-sewing a part of her cosplay, while her friends helped out with the rest. She has cosplayed Koyoa Ootori from Ouran High School and Haruka Naase from Free!Iwatobi Swim Club.

“I get to pretend to be someone else for a short amount of time,” Tanaka said.

Tanaka said that she saw lots more families attending at the event along with young adults and older teens.

Irene Tanaka coslpayed as AE3803(left) from the anime Cells at Work, written and illustrated by Akane Shimizu. On the left she cosplayed as Haruka Nanase from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club(right). Originally illustrated by Futoshi Nishiya and written by Kōji Ōji. (By Cheska Orias)

Liam Choy (c/o 2026) is another cosplayer. He was introduced to cosplay in 2017 and started making his own cosplay in 2023. Choy has been to events such as Comic Con and Kawaii Kon, dressing up as Flapjack’s grave from the show Owl House for one of his cosplays. At Comic Con (August 2023) Choy said that some of the voice actors were there such as, Sarah-Nicole Robles (VA of Luz Noceda), Elizabeth Grullon (VA of Camila Noceda), Cissy Jones (VA of Lilith Clawthorne) and Avi Roque (VA of Raine Whispers). Even the creator of the show, Dana Terrace, was there and Choy was able to get his cosplay signed and their reactions to his cosplay.

Despite having the entire summer to make the cosplay Choy, procrastinated. Some people were distraught because Flapjack’s death was such a big moment in the show. Others thought it was great and asked to take pictures with him. Having only a week to make the cosplay was stressful, but in the end it was fun.

“I think it was pretty fun, but a lot of people didn’t think it was funny,” Choy said.

Things Choy learned from doing cosplay is to not rush if you want it to look nice, or wait a week before making it for events. He said you should look around your house for things you could use for your cosplay instead of buying stuff. Choy said those who are interested in the craft should start off with closet cosplay, which is taking things you already have to create your outfit.

“If you want to get into it [cosplay], you should dive in head first with a character you can easily do. If you think about it, Halloween is basically just cosplaying, but only on one day (October 31st).”

Liam Choy (c/o 2026 | In the middle) posing with other Owl House cosplayers at Comic Con August 2023.
Photo courtesy of Liam Choy

Jewel Ann Sophia Cortes (c/o 2026) is another cosplayer. She only has been doing cosplay since 2023, dressing up for special events like Halloween or conventions. Cortes said she attended her first convention, Kawaii Kon, March 2024 with AMC. At first it was overwhelming since Cortes is someone who often stays home so going to public gatherings can be draining. Yet, as the event continued, she became more comfortable as she got used to the environment.

“It did end up getting better because cosplay helps me feel more comfortable with myself,” Cortes said.

Throughout the event Cortes said she saw people enjoying themselves and having fun. Everyone was very comfortable and respectful to each other. Nobody was being weird or judgey.

“It was just like going to a gathering where everyone knew each other,” Cortes said.

Cortes said cosplay is a hobby of hers and a way to express herself. Some characters she has cosplayed are Hastsune Miku and Len Kagamine from the Vocaloid franchise.

“Those characters were able to help me be myself and have fun,” Cortes said.

When approaching a cosplayer for pictures, Choy said that you should always ask before taking one; as well asking if you can touch them since consent is a big thing.

“Cosplayers are just ordinary people,” Cortes said. “People think cosplay is weird or cringe, when it’s just a hobby people like to do. It’s just like being enthusiastic about a show or fashion.”