Healthy food available for Tigers

Lin Song, Web Co-Editor

Hey, Tigers. If any student is asked whether they like to eat, I think the answer is undoubtedly “Yes!” So let’s figure out something more about what we eat everyday.

McKinley students are served daily at noon, the school lunches may be the most important meals in a students’ daily life.There are 25 different meals and finding out the day’s meal has become routine for many tigers. However, it seems that the students are always complaining about the lunch. Some freshmen who are not used to the lunch food choose to eat from outside like McDonald’s or Jack in the Box.

It’s true that some meals are not as tasty as meals from fast food chains, but at least they are healthier and they don’t taste so bad. Many students like the chicken and fruits the cafeteria provides. However, some think the ALA ENTREE menu is not worth the price. Although there is more meat, less fruits and vegetables are provided. The manager of the cafeteria, Mitch Arnold, said our school lunches meet the standards of USDA and have reduced the amount of sugar as well as fat this year.”The vegetables,fruits and milk can satisfy the vitamin and calcium students need every day,”said Arnold.

Some boys say that the amount of food is not enough and they will feel hungry easily in the afternoon. These guys need to bring some snacks like chocolate with them. A crowd of boys eating their hamburgers bought from Jack in the Box.”That tastes good, it’s enough,” said the guys. A junior said she often brings whole grain bars and drinks tea instead of juices. That’s a kind of healthy choice, right? Maybe some more fruits like apples will be better.

Perhaps some teenagers will say, “They are healthy. So what?” Then,we will show you it really matters. Healthy foods are high in vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and protein, and they promote energy, good health,efficiency of working and longevity. Fast foods are high in trans fats, sugar and sodium, which can lead to obesity, heart disease and diabetes among other health problems. In fact,not only does it rot your teeth and add inches to your waistline, but now researchers have discovered that junk food actually hurts your brain.

For those who want to lose weight, take a look at the food on the daily menu and reduce these high heat ones as well as having more vegetables and fruits.Besides, what we eat can affect our life at many aspects. According to the research, the children who eat more eggs and fish can be cleverer. Those who drink milk everyday have larger possibilities to be taller. Girls can even improve their looks through eating!

Tigers, try a healthier diet!

Here are several food that can make people healthier.

(the information is from Listverse and Cosmopolitan )
Unsweetened Coconut Shavings
Dark chocolate – But don’t go overboard: The Journal of Psychopharmacology
says that all you need is a few ounces of dark chocolate daily to reap the benefits.
Salmon and walnuts
Berries – They can also make you cleverer
Spinach
Greek yogurt – It’s a good source of calicum
Chicken
Eggs – A 2008 study in the International Journal of Obesity found that people
who had eggs for breakfast lost considerably more weight. Really multifunctional
Tofu
Green tea
Honey – Far better than regular sugar
Water – It’s really important in keeping the brain working