Volunteers experience College and Career Fair

Lin Song, Web Co-Editor

The 2013 College and Career Fair on Nov. 15 attracted lots of students and parents to come for information. The exhibitors as well as six volunteers from the Leo Club all put lots of energy into it.
The members were responsible for giving out information booklets at the entrance as well as drinks to the representatives and solving the problems of guests.
“When I see their smiles and they say ‘thank you’ after I help them, I feel really great,” said My Lu, one of the volunteers.
An exhibitor said, “I’m so thirsty from introducing all the time and when I get the water they give, I just feel my life is saved!”
Giving out booklets seemed to be an easy thing, but standing straight for hours with a smile was tiring. Everyone was hungry after three hours of working. They were given dinner. A volunteer said, “Both the food and experience are rewards of our hard work. ”
The Leos are looking forward to more chances to volunteering. “We can always learn something from the experience and the event itself,” said Yujun Peng.
Since 1973, the Hawaii College & Career Fair has been Hawaii’s premier annual college and career fair linking Hawaii’s students, families and communities to higher education and career opportunities. Each year over 12,000 students and families visit the Hawaii College & Career Fair statewide, making it one of the largest higher education events in Hawai’i.
The Hawai’i College and Career Fair is an annual, non-profit community event for high school students, teachers, counselors, parents, college students preparing for graduate study, and for adults planning career changes or continuing education. This statewide Fair is held on Oahu, Kona, Hilo, Maui, and Kaua’i.
Each year, the Fair has been planned and is closely supervised by a committee of educators and specialists with a wide range of training and expertise. The purpose of the Fair is to provide college and career information through handouts, exhibits, demonstrations, and opportunities to speak face-to-face to representatives of higher education institutions.
Over 200 exhibitors participate in this Fair each year. This Fair includes colleges, universities, professional schools, technical, industrial and trade schools, military services and academies, business and finance groups, and visitor and tourist industries.
Over 200 colleges and organizations including public institutions, private institutions, Hawai’i institutions, US mainland institutions and even international institutions were at the fair. Students and parents have learned a lot of information from the introduction of the exhibitors.
“My son would like to go to college in California. The information about the application and financial aids are very helpful, ”said a father.