1st Quarter Flies by for the McKinley Cadet Corps

Jane Lavea, Web Co-Editor

Tiger Battalion has done a lot this quarter. The first event that JROTC did was the annual field day called Organizational Day and hosted by Waipahu High School.

It was held at Bellows Air Force base. Activities were each hosted by each school that has the JROTC program. It was a fun event but it was also a competition. The Tiger Battalion won first place in Jump, Push, Curl event (this is a physical event when the cadets have to do consecutive jumping jacks, pushups and sit ups). This was hosted by Kalaheo High school. In order to win medals for these activities, each school was to get the most consecutive Jump, Push, Curl. The Tiger Battalion also won the Ghost in the Graveyard game by having the fastest time in the relay race. This was hosted by McKinley High School.

“I enjoyed the first aid task the most because me and my team motivated each other to win it,” Junior Dominic Carpio said.

The second event that JROTC participated in was the Aloha Week Festival parade on Sept. 27. It was for community service. It is the largest Hawaiian Cultural celebration, and McKinley marched from Ala Moana Beach Park to Kapiolani.

Rough Rider Challenge was held on Oct. 9. It was hosted by and held at Roosevelt High School. This event was the first competition of the Rangers season. The intent of this competition is to conduct a safe and enjoyable Ranger competition and to provide an opportunity for JROTC cadets to participate in a competition social event by representing their respective schools in a positive light. They also build comradeship throughout the JROTC community while having fun.

“Next quarter, I am looking forward to the American Heart Association Heart Walk, the Roosevelt Rider Challenge Ranger Competition and the Waianae Veteran Day Parade and Drill Meet,” said senior army instructor Cory Marlowe said.