The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

The MHS mural on the band building

Eren Padilla, general art teacher at McKinley High School, said a school mural is a great way to bring color and creativity into the learning environment. It serves as a visual representation of the school’s values and spirit. The mural she is helping with on the  MHS band building is a collaborative effort involving students, teachers and artists from the community. By showcasing different backgrounds and experiences, Padilla said the mural celebrates the unique identities of each student while highlighting the power of coming together as a community. 

“Mural painting, and public art in general, really instills a sense of pride, ownership, responsibility and achievement. When students and the community help create something together, it binds us, and the joy of actually inviting people to put their hands on a project and take part in the planning and painting, well it is a memorable experience,” she said.

Padilla said each brushstroke tells a story, connecting students and faculty members in a shared appreciation for art and expression. One of the most remarkable aspects of this mural to Padilla is its ability to provoke thought and ignite curiosity. One thing that the creation of the school mural can reveal about the character of the students and the broader school community is their creativity and collaborative spirit. It requires brainstorming, planning, and teamwork to bring a mural to life. By working together, Padilla said students can learn to appreciate different perspectives, respect each other’s ideas, and contribute their own unique talents to the project. This not only enhances their artistic abilities but also builds their interpersonal and problem-solving skills.

Padilla said she hopes that as students walk past the mural, their eyes will be drawn to the intricate details and vibrant colors. She said she wants not only for the mural to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the school but also to have a profound impact on the overall atmosphere.

“Our McKinley motto is pride and tradition and making a wall painting for everyone to enjoy really establishes a new set of traditions and helps students see their vision come to life. We can show our values and identity by the actual art compositions we create, but really, it’s the act of collaboration itself that is the most important lesson here,” Padilla said. 

All in all, Padilla said the MHS school mural can be much more than just a colorful decoration on the walls. It can serve as a powerful symbol of unity, diversity and the pursuit of knowledge. By involving students in the creation process it fosters a sense of ownership and pride in McKinley.

“The most important message is that art is important. Self-expression, creativity and originality are extremely valuable traits all people should learn to utilize and that’s why art making, music, song, dance, theater, writing, poetry, and taking pictures are all essential for the human experience,” Padilla said.