The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

McKinley’s Class of 2024 Graduation

On May 26, McKinley High School’s class of 2024 celebrated the completion of their high school journeys. They first started their freshman year during mid-pandemic, most not stepping onto campus till their sophomore year.

The ceremony started with a welcome address by Franky Pudja (c/o 2024), followed by the playing of the Pledge of Allegiance and Hawai’i Pono’i and speeches by Kyli Taketa, Angela Yerten, Stacy Cabusas and Jennifer Li (all c/o 2024).

Taketa spoke on the history of McKinley High School, telling the story of McKinley’s unity throughout World War II and into the modern era, from McKinley’s war bond fundraisers and student volunteer work on pineapple plantations after the devastation of the war to McKinley High School and sports events today which have strengthened the school community.

“The core tenets of being supportive and uplifting others is our goal,” Taketa said. “It’s not lost on us that we’re able to celebrate… today because of the people that came before us, and our legacy will continue for decades, perhaps centuries to come.”

Yerten, Cabusas, and Li gave the Past, Present, and Future speeches. In Yerten’s speech, Past, she described the impactful events of the last four years such as hybrid learning and the loss of Sara Yara, which forced the Class of 2024 to stick together and persist through the ups and downs.

“How we respond to adversity determines our character. And this class has character,” Yerten said.

In Cabusas’s speech, Present, she told seniors to remember what it meant to be standing there on their graduation day and to celebrate the results of their families’ sacrifices.

“Today, we honor [our families], as if not for their sacrifices, this day would not be possible,” Cabusas said.

Lastly, in Li’s speech, Future, she reminded the Class of 2024 that they had a future of challenges and uncertainties in front of them, but that they had what it takes to overcome them.

“If we can see our future as nothing more than rough oceans to a veteran sailor, then… I am certain we have what it takes to tackle the unknown.”

During the commencement ceremony, Taketa also presented the Class of 2024’s class gift, a sign created as a gift from the class of 1999 which was refurbished as a gift from the Class of 2024. The presentation of this year’s class gift was followed by a speech from principal Ron Okamura addressing all the classes ending their school year, the tassel-turning ceremony, and finally, the awarding of diplomas to the graduating class.