The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Communication Is Key

By Cheska Orias
Sit down and listen to your friend, and let them express themselves without judgment.

One of the most important things in a relationship is communication. Relationships come in all shapes and sizes and range from friends, families, romantic, and even with those you dislike. Communication is the bridge in a relationship with others, and if there is miscommunication or misunderstanding that bridge will sever and break.

There was a time I didn’t communicate properly. When I was at my lowest point in my life, I refused to ask for help, thinking that it would make me seem weak. I cut myself off from others who tried to help me, weakening and breaking the once-close friendships we had. Once I did get help and tried to talk to them, it took a while to mend those friendships.

As I grew from that experience, I learned how to express my feelings and thoughts much better. 

Here are ways you can improve your communication with others or communicate more effectively. If you wish to go more in depth, here are some resources you can take a look at.

[[Resource: Impacts of Lack of Communication in a Relationship & 13 Ways to Improve | Effective Listening | The Importance of Effective Communication ]]

Keep an open mind & open to suggestions

Listen without judgment and without mentally criticizing the things the other person is telling you. If they say something alarming, be concerned but don’t say to yourself, “Well that’s a dumb move.” Remember that the speaker is trying to convey their thoughts and feelings.

Be attentive

Be present in the moment and pay attention to what they are saying. Give them your attention while they give you theirs. Mentally tune out background distractions so you can fully focus on what they have to say.

Be patient 

Don’t rush the conversation. Allow the conversion to go at its own pace. If you don’t understand something, don’t interrupt. Instead, wait for a pause to ask for clarification.

Body Language

When we communicate, we also say a lot without speaking. Our posture, tone of voice & facial expressions can convey a message. 

Remember, not all people verbally communicate, as there are  some who use sign language or communication cards, it is still important to be patient and attentive to them. There have been times when things get overwhelming for me and I can’t speak, so I talk using my notes app. It allows me to convey my feelings and thoughts, while the person on the receiving end patiently waits and allows me to explain my thoughts through text.

Whether it be through speech, text, or any other form of communication it is important to have open ears and open heart. It allows relationships to foster and blossom. But without that communication, your relationships will wither and decay.