The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Violence and the daily lives of students

Alright, there’s almost always some “threat” at McKinley – . Fake fires, bomb threats, shooting threats, and other wacky incidents. Perhaps it is just a part of the school experience, some seasonal thing like pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks or that McRib thing at McDonalds. 

I’m getting tired of these possible dangers. While a fake fire alarm does not cause much harm to the students, it strains the fire and police services, taxpayer money, along with the school staff. Also, an article by King 5 TV discusses how threats are increasing nationwide and even the F.B.I. is getting rather concerned. 

You know that one song by Wham! where they’re singing “Last Christmas, I gave you my heart.”? But, instead of hearts, last Christmas McKinley received an early present in the form of an anonymous bomb threat during lunch wanting to jingle bell rock our behinds. When a friend told me of a ‘bomb’ threat, I decided to just run out of there. Because the last thing I need is to be where some TNT is going to blow up some property. Some people just have Joe Chill. I have to deal with assignments and then suddenly Megumin from KonoSuba or Klee from Genshin Impact wants to blow up the school, V for Vendetta ~ 1812 Overture style. I thought about just leaving and putting enough distance between me and this mess by going home. But without cash or a bus pass, I just mustered with the others at Thomas Square, while loads of police investigated the school. Those poor drivers on King Street though.. But talk about a silent night and an early New Year if this was real. 

Now, with the shooting threat that occurred around Oct. 20 this year, I was sick and at home when this catastrophe occurred. So, I learned about the threat through a friend online. The official statement from McKinley says it was an “‘anonymous social media post.”

This makes me sad because I support Second Amendment rights. This recent shooting threat makes things more problematic for firearm ownership. Now, laws that are more positive to firearm ownership may be more restricted due to this threat. Or, laws restricting firearm ownership may be sometimes more favorable. Sometimes in life, the presence of weaponry can solve your problems. Maybe someone tries to rob your house. Or if you live in a rural area, animals may pose a problem.

And more recently while making this article, in mid-November, someone left a Molotov cocktail at a bus stop beside McKinley.

I have also received a small sample of students’ opinions concerning the threats. Many were confused, some scared. Others felt nothing about the situation. These incidents are becoming common enough that some just have a lack of concern or caution towards these problems. It makes me think of 1920s Germany, where turmoil is rampant.

Are these incidents going to ramp up in absurdity or lethality? While the answer is uncertain, students and faculty can be wary of future threats. Well, let’s hope all will be well these holiday seasons, and that wacky, Looney Tunes stuff straight from South Park won’t occur. Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you readers.