Victoria Koli’s future goals for volleyball

Jane Lavea, Web Co-Editor

Volleyball is Victoria Sooalo Koli’s passion. She has been playing since she was four and is currently playing for McKinley High School.

For her senior year, she plans on getting a full ride scholarship for volleyball. She also plans to graduate with her masters and start a flight attendant career.

Volleyball is an intense sport. To be a great player you have to be mentally and physically tough. Koli encounters peer pressure when playing volleyball. She knows that her teammates and coaches depend on her leadership during games.

“The hardest part about playing volleyball for me is when the pressure is on. The games gets intense and that’s when I start to strategize the game,” Koli said.

She said volleyball includes 90 percent of mental and 10 percent of skills. Defense wins the game because they are playing smart.

“Victoria is very talkative and have good social skills. She communicates very well with her teammates and she’s very talented in volleyball. If she puts her mind and heart into it, then she can do anything she wants,” said assistant coach Carrie Akana.

Although the sport stresses some people out, Koli feels as if volleyball was meant for her. She feels focused and happy when playing because she is doing what she loves.

For future volleyball players, Koli advises, “If you’re serious about the sport, put in a 100 percent in both school and volleyball. Have no doubts because in this life, we only live on hope.”