McMillan goes for her goals as goalie

Determination affects McMillan’s actions

McMillan is about to punt the ball back to her teammates.

Jane Lavea, Web Co-Editor

Junior Majorlyn McMillan is McKinley’s soccer goalie. She started playing soccer during her freshman year because she encouraged by a friend to try out.

“My plans after high school is to attend U.H. Manoa and further my soccer and softball career. I want to major in marine biologist,” McMillan said.

Soccer is team sport. There are other players on the team and everyone needs to work together to fulfill what is needed to be done. Support and expertise is needed in order for everyone to have a clean game.

“I enjoy playing soccer because it is a very fun and competitive sport. The goal of the game is to work as a team,” McMillan said.

Self-talk to the team is important because everyone needs to understand the game plans. Something will likely go wrong but in order to avoid that, the team needs to develop strategies.

“Goalie can be pressuring at times because I have to make a decisions between making a save and not making it, making the right decision or making a wrong one, and making decisions without hesitation,” McMillan said.

McMillan says that staying positive is a really hard thing to do when your team is losing. She hates feeling as if others teams are scoring because of her.

“My job as a goalie is to stay focus in the game and block any balls from scoring. It is important for me not to get side tracked because I can lose focus. If defense does not cooperate by not doing their job, then it makes my job harder because I’ll have to step up and be on point,” McMillan said.

Goalies have to be physically and mentally strong. They need to be strong in the air and not be afraid of getting hurt. They also need to have their feelings in check.

“It’s about being able to tell what the next move is” McMillan said. She also said that it saves energy from blocking hots that are not going to score.

Head coach Shelby Costa said that if McMillan continues to improve the way she has been playing, she will be able to play soccer in college and be able to get a scholarship.

“She’s a talented goalie with a good attitude. She’s new to the sport and she does not have many experience. However her determination and skills makes her better than other experience players who have played for 10 or more years,” Costa said.

“No drama should be in the team as we all work together no matter what the circumstances are,” McMillan said.