The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Morikuni Encourages New and Returning Athletes

Photo by Shane Kaneshiro

The start of the school year means the start of a new sports season. Bob Morikuni,  McKinley’s athletic director since 2012,  welcomes the new and returning athletes of McKinley to a new year of sports.

“I’m just excited to see how they’ve grown,” Morikuni said. “From their freshman year to their senior year… that’s what I’m excited about. To put their best foot forward and to try their best.”

Morikuni always tells the new students to try a sport. He said they may find some sport they’re good at that they never knew they were good at or might find a sport they love and enjoy.

“They [also] could find some of the best friends for the rest of their life,” Morikuni said. “My best friends today are the ones that I played sports with growing up.”

During the COVID pandemic, it was a challenge for McKinley to continue sports because they had to cancel all sports for some time. Ever since the pandemic ended and sports started up, Morikuni has been even more grateful that McKinley is able to continue sports.

“I’m even more thankful now that we do have sports so  that the students can do something and can participate and come to school,” he said.

Morikuni insists students who wish to perform in sports stay up to date on their academics, character, and attendance. For Morikuni, these challenges will always appear.

“Sometimes, fielding a team is tough,” Morikuni said. “Not having enough boys or girls for a team. And … making sure that they’re good citizens.”

For McKinley’s spectators and athletes, Morikuni said he hopes they represent the school throughout the year. He hopes to see McKinley’s athletes playing with pride and looks forward to seeing them try their best this year.

“We all want to win. That’s the nature of sports,” Morikuni said. “But we want them to play the right way and represent McKinley High School in the best possible way.”