The Pinion

The impact of social media on teens

Instagram+is+one+of+the+more+popular+social+media+platforms+students+use.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The impact of social media on teens

Instagram is one of the more popular social media platforms students use.

Kelvin Ku, assistant editor

Social media platforms such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter are widely popular with users all over the world on a daily basis. It would be extremely rare to find a person unaware of these platforms today and it is more or less indisputable that it has become a core part of a majority of people’s daily lives.

And although people all over the world use social media, the ones that are most affected by its impact are teens. According to a survey by Pew Research Center, fully 95% of teens in America have access to a smartphone, and 45% say they are online ‘almost constantly, but only 81% of all Americans use social media, a sizable amount lower.

With social media so highly widespread, the real question is whether this impact is positive or negative and to what extent.

Pew Research Center has also found in a survey that “A plurality of teens (45%) believe social media has neither positive nor negative effect on people their age. Meanwhile, roughly three-in-ten teens (31%) say social media has had a mostly positive impact, while 24% describe its effect as mostly negative.”

There are diverse views on what type of impact social media has on teens but it is undeniable that some sort of impact on teens exists.

“Teenagers don’t often get the experience to travel and see the world so when it comes to living alone or going away to college without your parents the idea might seem a bit scary. I believe social media helps teenagers see the vaster world and keep their perspective wider, benefiting them,” said McKinley High School senior Qianman Wan.

Controversy on social media still exists but it’s not going to away so people should look towards how to overcome its negatives. According to a survey conducted by the Royal Society for Public health social media platforms such as Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram led to increased feelings of depression etc…

“I think that the only reason social media holds a negative impact on teenagers is that of the emotional insecurity they possess. Some teens are sensitive about their appearances or are overly obsessed with social media to the point where it dictates whether they are happy or not that day based on how many compliments or likes they got,’ said MHS Junior Daniel Lee.

If the problem with social media lies within the insecurity of modern-day teenagers, then something to help them can be implemented.

Kelvin Ku, assistant editor

My name is Kelvin Ku and I am a Junior attending McKinley High School. My hobbies are reading and my favorite book is warlock of the magus world about...