Paddling impels Allen Zhang to succeed

Zhang+paddles+along+with+the+team+to+keep+the+canoe+moving.+

By Jane Lavea

Zhang paddles along with the team to keep the canoe moving.

Jane Lavea, Web Co-Editor

Senior Allen Zhang has been paddling since freshmen year. Teammates said that he is the heart of the team.

Zhang wants to become a physical therapist assistant because he likes working with people. He plans on attending Kapiolani Community College.

Zhang learns teamwork in paddling. In addition, he motivates himself to paddle because of his love for the water and surfing.

“I feel that wherever my coach puts me in the canoe it is my responsibility and duty to do it 100 percent and paddle not only for me but for the team.”

Zhang paddles in seat one, also knows as the stroker. Stroker is the person that sets a pace for the rest of the paddlers. They also inform steers-person, seat six, if anything is directly in front to avoid collisions.

“Our main goal is to paddle together, no individuals. All six people in the canoe paddling together as one,” Zhang said.

When the JV is using the canoe, Varsity uses this time to do land workouts. Doing land workout helps them to stay physical. It is not only about paddling in the canoe, it is knowing how to work as a team and when to keep going when it gets hard.

“When it gets hard, we try to call power change to get the canoe moving. Steersmans also talk to motivate the team,” Zhang said.

Power change is when everyone gives it their all. When paddling, everyone is paddling at a normal speed but when power change is called, everyone puts in all their power.

Paddling teaches a person to control it is counter-instinctual, such as maintaining a low center gravity, different positions to hold the paddle, and mental capacity.

“We always paddle our hardest in practice,” Zhang said.

Peter Valenti, McKinley’s 3-year head coach, said that Zhang is the heart of the team.

“He’s very hardworking, competitive and has been doing good since freshmen year. Allen just needs to buckle down a little in school but he has a drive to succeed,” Valenti said.