Student Voice of McKinley High School

The Pinion

Sports are dangerous

Is the risk worth the reward?

Katie Jones, reporter

From a young age, children are urged to play sports but some sports have a high risk rate for injuries. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that 1.6 – 3.8 million sports related concussions occur in the United States each year.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is a disease that kills neurons in the brain. Memory loss, dementia, aggression,and depression are among the many symptoms for CTE. Recent studies show that sports, such as boxing and American football, are linked to CTE.

According to stanfordchildrens.org, sports and recreational activities contribute to approximately 21 percent of all traumatic brain injuries among American children.

Freshman Stella Martinez said, “It’s (sports) not safe, but if it’s a sport someone loves I feel that they should still play it.”

In a recent study done by Frontline, 87 out of 91 deceased NFL players tested positive for brain disease. A bad hit playing a sport may cause brain swelling and concussion but in the long run, retired athletes can at least acquire tissue scarring in the brain. Is it safe for children to aspire to become an athlete if they are going to spend their retirement in a hospital bed.

I started playing sports because I made friends. I like being apart of a team. Last year I broke my fibula. I still play because I love football. It’s just people’s choices on what they want to do with their lives.”

— senior Eteuati Faauli

“I started playing sports because I made friends. I like being apart of a team. Last year I broke my fibula. I still play because I love football. It’s just people’s choices on what they want to do with their lives,” senior Eteuati Faauli said.

There are benefits too. Children can stay fit and healthy. Sports brings the community together. As stated by atheleticscholarships.net, statistics show that students who are in sports activities are less likely to suffer from stress and depression. Just like everything in life, there are hazards to playing sports.

It’s up to the adult to step in if things get too dangerous for children.

Senior and football player Greison Rodrigues-Silva said, “You have to have somebody professional observe children playing sports to warn parents if the children are pushing themselves too hard.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Sports are dangerous”

1. Janet Kereti on March 3rd, 2016 2:41 pm

Great reply EJ. You make the choice and you handle all that comes with it. Danger lurks behind us daily so why let it keep you from playing the sport you love and enjoy. Love you son.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Commencement ceremony traditions need to be updated

• Editorials

Movie review: ‘Arrival’

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Academy Award Winner: ‘Spotlight’

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Lucy’s Lab Creamery brings twist to traditional ice cream

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Trump’s tactics take toll on America

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Our freedom is being taken away

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Upholding traditions

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Editorial Cartoon – Trump’s Wall

• Editorials

Zootopia, place for predator and prey

• Sports are dangerous

Editorials

Disney’s Polynesian Princess, Moana, scores big

Student Voice of McKinley High School
Sports are dangerous