The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Hazel Health Works To Help Students

Hazel Health  has been a program here at MHS for two years, and has partnered with the Hawaii Department of Education to provide quality mental health care for all students, at no cost to the family.

If a student wants to be referred to Hazel Health, they should see McKinley counselor Cami Yoshioka. Yoshioka said  Hazel Health might benefit students who are having difficulty/need support in school, family, peer groups, social settings and relationship conflicts. “If they notice or teachers notice changes that they’re experiencing, or they are looking to talk to somebody further about it might be a right fit,” Yoshioka said. 

“This is something that is not long term, it’s a short term solution,” Yoshioka said. 

Students need to be referred to start Hazel Health. Yoshioka said students can do a self referral or be referred by a counselor or any school staff. Once Hazel Heath  gets that referral, they will contact the student’s parents. “It’s usually fast. Within 48 hours someone will reach out to them to provide the next steps they need to do on their end, and parents need to give consent,” Yoshioka said.

Once that is submitted students go to do an initial interview with the parent and the Hazel Health therapist.

“If all the paperworks done and everything else is complete, then they’d be able to go on and do their weekly sessions together,” Yoshioka said.

“I think it’s something very helpful and a good opportunity for students to use if they’re experiencing situations or issues that are challenging and/or personal, and want someone to talk about it with,” Yoshioka said.

For more information, visit this website: https://my.hazel.co/hawaiipublicschools/info