The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Exposing Fight Culture at McKinley

The students that attend McKinley high School specifically have most likely either been in or have witnessed an altercation between McKinley students. An increase of physical fights and acts of violence/intimidation in quarter three have been occurring both on McKinley campus and  around its perimeters. Fighting culture is becoming a more prevalent issue in American schools. 46% of schools in America have seen an increase in fighting and violence, according to surveys done in 2020-22 by the National Center for Education Statistics.

According to the National Institutes of Health, the reasons for students fighting are never straightforward. It is difficult to figure out exactly why teens feel the need to handle their issues violently. Anger, self-defense, rumors, etc, are common occurrences regarding these problems.

On McKinley’s campus, administration has been taking more precautions to lower the chances of these problems. Some of these actions include  reinforcing on students having and wearing their IDs at all times, upping the security around campus, having admin and security patrol around and off campus, etc. There are still many different opinions surrounding these issues at school.

Vice principal William McGuire has been a  witness to these fights during the years he has worked on McKinley campus alongside other teachers and admin.

“We had five fights in seven school days just a few days ago!” McGuire said.

It had even gotten to a point where McGuire had to watch for these incidents outside of school and try to prevent them.

“There were a few weeks there where I had to be in places I normally wouldn’t be, like out on the street or patrolling behind the Kapiolani Gate.”

McGuire offered a few observations in regards to the connection between a lack of beneficial school influences and situations like these.

“Once students aren’t focused on what they should be focused on, they’re not focused on academics, or positive things like sports and clubs, typically I find their grades aren’t great.” McGuire said.

McGuire attributed these problems to something deeper than the surface-level drama others tend to see.

“Kids that struggle academically tend to find other things to do, they use them to cover up for their inadequacies which impacts their interpersonal relationships; it’s just not a positive mentality.”

PE and biology teacher Bartly Wilson has also seen some of the recent altercations between students on campus.

“We have a lot of people here at this school that are allowing outside influences to come in here and make a negative impact on the campus,” Wilson said.

“Instead of students feeling freedom at this school, it’s going to feel almost like we’re in some kind of lockdown because everywhere we look, there’s police cars and armed police officers.”

Both McGuire and Wilson say the problem of fighting and violence has been inflamed by social media, which can have a negative influence on youth.

“You make foolish decisions based on what other people think about you a lot, especially when you’re young,” McGuire said.

It’s hard to say exactly what will solve or at the very least, lower the high occurrences of these problems.

Elijah Jones (c/o 2026) has also had some thoughts regarding this situation.

“Students don’t seem to care as much because the fights are entertaining to them, even if it negatively affects others,” Jones said. “Their immediate instinct is to get their phones out and film.”

Jones feels that the school is handling it to the best of their ability, since the police have been stationed around the school and there’s been more security.

Wilson said he believes that the school has to do something that sets a better example for those who think this behavior is acceptable, and that without it, he is afraid more kids are going to end up in trouble and at a juvenile detention center.

McGuire said the school need help with an alternative program for these students because there are not enough options here; they cannot be left to their own devices at school.

“Currently, the school district does not seem to have the capacity to change and give these kids a better chance,” McGuire said.