The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Smith’s Opportunity to Build Rapport

Photo by Kyle Emnace

Zoe Smith wanted to become a teacher because of her past teachers in school that influenced her.

“I had some really good teachers in high school and they had a huge impact on me and the person that I am,” Smith said.

At first, Smith did not want to become a teacher. However, the positive influences of her teachers made her realize she wants to become a teacher.

“The more experience that I had through college and everything made me realize that that’s what I wanted to do,” Smith said.

Smith is a first year science teacher. She took this job because she thought it was a good opportunity for her. But she knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

“I’d say (it’s) a mixed bag. There’s definitely highs and lows. It’s a little on the stressful side. But it’s balanced out pretty well,” Smith said. “Just seeing students get engaged, being excited about things and just being able to kind of build a rapport with students.”

Smith paddles outriggers in her free time. But that’s not the only thing she likes. Smith also writes in her free time. Her favorite colors are pink and purple. Her parents painted her entire room purple when she was in third grade. However, she used to dislike pink.

“I think [pink] just kinda started growing on me the more I liked purple,” Smith said.