Every journey is fantastic!

Lin Song, Web Co-Editor

The third quarter just began. Reporters, photographers and editors are back to work now!

My first article this quarter is about how seniors choose their majors and careers. Actually, at first I planned to write about seniors’ plans for the last semester. I interviewed some students and their answers included applying for financial aid and scholarships, taking college courses, volunteering and having parties. I thought It would be really hard to cover all of these topics. Then I just made my mind that I would write about seniors’ major choices. This kind of transition happens a lot when reporters write an article. It is like during a trip, people may change the route to find something more appealing to them.

The students in the article are my friends. Of course it is easier to get information, but more importantly their stories just fit the point I want to emphasize. The girl in my article wants to be an actuary and plans to major in math. Although she came to live in Honolulu from China last year, she performs well in school and is learning AP classes herself as well as studying for actuarial examinations. Another senior wants to be a doctor and plans to major in chemistry. He is already enrolled in Williams College, which I think is also impressive. I believe these two students’ examples can attract readers and they are firm and passionate about their major choices.

There are different types of scenery on the way. I also wrote about teachers’ suggestions for those students who are not clear about their major choices. The math teacher I interviewed majored in accounting but later he found that the area did not fit him. He told me about applying his accounting skills to the daily works now. Personally, I also learned that no matter what major students choose, studying in college is a great way to develop thinking methods and study skills.

There is a fantastic journey behind every article. The process of researching, organizing and thinking is really a great learning opportunity for every journalism.