The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Prepping for college

Prepping for college is an exciting and important step towards your future. It requires careful planning and dedication to ensure a smooth transition from high school to higher education. From choosing the right college to tackling applications and financial aid, it’s about paving the way for an amazing future. 

One crucial aspect of college prepping is academic readiness. Taking challenging courses in High School, like honors or AP classes, can provide a solid foundation for the rigorous demands of college level work. After registering during quarter 2, make sure to keep an eye on the final schedule and make sure you get the courses you want. Research shows that students who challenge themselves academically have a higher chance of thriving in college. Your academic record and stability will be a very important part of your college application. 

In brief, building a well rounded profile is equally important. Participating in extracurricular activities allow you to showcase your interest, skills, and passion beyond the classroom. Colleges value students who exhibit leadership, commitment, and a drive to make a positive impact on their communities.

By joining clubs, sports teams, or engaging in community service, you demonstrate your ability to balance academics with extracurricular commitments.  Mckinley has many clubs, sports and extracurricular activities to help you engage in the community.

Establishing strong relationships with teachers and counselors is a key component of successful college prepping. They can guide you through the application process, write recommendation letters highlighting your strengths, and provide invaluable advice. Some other important things to consider when getting ready to apply for college in high school are researching different colleges and their requirements, and studying for standardized tests like the SAT or ACT. It is also a good idea to attend information sessions to get a better sense of the campus and the programs they offer. 

Building these connections can enhance your college admission chances and ensure you have a solid support system during this exciting time and help navigate the challenges of college applications and provide guidance towards  your goals.

With this in mind, college preparation as a junior or senior is of utmost importance for charting your path to success as it helps provide a way for students to become self aware and analyze what they really want to do in college, and in their later life. Although it may appear daunting, with meticulous planning, a positive mindset, and seeking assistance when needed, this process allows you to shape your future and discover who you are meant to be.