The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

Graduating with Pride and Honor

The graduating class of 2023 turns their tassels as they prepare to embark on the next journey of their lives. Photo by Dominic Niyo

Every year, the graduating class of McKinley High School anticipates a joyous journey across the oval, where family and friends are gathered to celebrate four years of dedication, perseverance and diligence. This cherished tradition marks a significant milestone in the graduates’ lives as they venture into the real world, ready to make a lasting impact on themselves and those around them.

Behind the scenes, the school administration, student council and the student activities coordinator, April Nakamura, plan for over five months to prepare a memorable and enjoyable graduation event, organizing festivities, logistics, and rehearsals. Additionally, sophomores set up necessities before the event, assuring that everything is in place for the festivities, while juniors usher during the ceremony by guiding attendees to ensure smooth proceedings.

This collaborative effort ensures that every detail is carefully arranged for the graduating class and their guests.

“It’s like being in a family where everyone pitches in,” Nakamura said.

The following day, freshmen are brought out of their classes to deal with the aftermath left by attendees—a massive mess that is too overwhelming for custodians to handle alone, particularly the thousands of non-recyclable confetti pieces strewn across the lawn, which they are tasked with picking up by hand, one by one.

Although the freshmen are willing to pitch in, the trail of litter left on the front lawn not only detracts from the beauty of our school grounds, but also reflects poorly on the school’s values. Our celebration should be a symbol of our school’s motto; Pride and Honor, not a source of disregard for our surroundings.

To address this issue effectively, it is crucial for graduating students to take responsibility for proper trash disposal and to remind their guests to do the same during the graduation festivities. Let’s work together to reduce the use of messy party supplies, such as non-recyclable confetti, in order to maintain the beauty of the school campus and minimize waste. By making mindful choices and keeping the school grounds clean, we can ensure that graduation celebrations are enjoyable for everyone.

While it is understandable to celebrate with exuberance after four continuous years of passion and dedication, we must also recognize the importance of responsible behavior during and after our graduation ceremony. Let us not allow our joyous festivities to be clouded by negligence, resulting in a careless aftermath on the front lawn of our school.

As the students of McKinley High School, we have a responsibility to demonstrate respect and stewardship for our school environment. Let us set a positive example for future graduates by showing consideration for the school administration and the underclassmen who work to organize the event, as well as the custodians who work rigorously to maintain the beauty of our campus.

Together, let’s celebrate responsibly and uphold the dignity of our school. By being mindful of our actions and making the right choices, we ensure that our actions reflect what we hold dear, with Pride and Honor.