The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

McKinley Distributes Free HOLO Cards

On Aug. 10., students lined up in the auditorium to get their free HOLO cards. Lines were long, and students waited around an hour to claim their free bus pass. Photo by Shane Kaneshiro

On Aug. 10, students lined up in the auditorium to get their free HOLO cards. Lines were long, and students waited around an hour to claim their free bus pass.

Schools on Oahu are distributing free bus passes paid by the state to all high school students, in an attempt to provide free and reliable transportation to all students. The department of transportation has partnered to print and supply all students in the 9th-12th grade with a built-in HOLO card chip on the back of their school issued ID’s.

These HOLO cards can help students get involved in after-school clubs and part-time jobs because they won’t be limited by transportation issues. Consequently, students will have the opportunity to enjoy a broader education and pursue their hobbies beyond school hours.

Cura Yoon (c/o 2027) said, “The HOLO cards are really useful because it helps me get to my job, and also helps me get to cheer practice. Without them, getting around would be a lot harder for me.”

Yoon also said the HOLO card has saved her money.

“Even though $1.50 isn’t a lot, it adds up over time,” Yoon said.

To activate the HOLO card, students must fill out a short application and wait 3-5  business days. The passes are valid until May 31, 2024. Students can visit https://iportal.k12.hi.us/express/ to access the application or get additional information. Students can visit the business office to acquire a HOLO card if they have yet to get one.

Inho Sang (c/o 2027) said the free HOLO cards were a helpful resource for all students, especially those who don’t have their own transportation.

Sang, who doesn’t plan to use the free HOLO card, still said, “I feel the state buying a bus pass for students is a good thing.”

Principal Ron Okamura said he thinks the HOLO card pass is beneficial. Unlike the other schools in the countryside and neighbor islands that rely on the yellow buses, McKinley students have the opportunity to use the regular city buses.

“Giving you a HOLO pass, I think it’s a benefit not only to come to school and go home from school, but also on the weekends,” said Okamura. “You guys can utilize it to get to places that you want to go to like Ala Moana or beach.”