The student-run newspaper of McKinley High School

The Pinion

The Pinion

The Pinion

Support Us
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of McKinley High School - HI. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. We also have advertising options.

Daily Pinion
View this profile on Instagram

The Pinion (@mhspinion) • Instagram photos and videos

Newswriting Promo Video

New Student Orientation Introduces Freshmen to McKinley

Sophomore volunteers raise the lyrics to the Black and Gold during the New Student Orientation. Photo by Joseph Mai.

New Student Orientation was held on Aug. 7 on McKinley High School’s campus where faculty and staff welcomed the incoming freshmen by showing them the rules and opportunities the school has to offer. This event aimed to familiarize students with the school’s facilities, ensuring a smooth transition into the academic year. Throughout the orientation, students were introduced to the school’s campus, history and traditions.

In the gym, freshmen were taught the expectations of assemblies that will be held throughout the year. Seniors taught traditions like Lighting of The M, Hall of Honor, and to stay off the oval, while the sophomores and juniors taught the Black and Gold and the Alma Mater.

Principal Ron Okamara told the freshmen how they can enjoy their high school year by joining clubs and sports.

“High school is only as fun you make it,” Okamura said. “Get involved with clubs, sports and organizations … Even if it doesn’t interest you, check it out because it might be something you really might want to do.”

As Okamura introduced staff and teachers, he shared the school will help students throughout their years.

“Start thinking about what you want to be and we’ll help you get there,” Okumura said.

After the assembly in the gym, a program named Ignition was introduced. Ignition is a program to help freshmen adjust to a high school environment. Freshmen were separated by yellow and white groups. Each group rotated between three different locations around campus where they interacted with upperclassmen in activities.

Rosa Faaola-Ieremia (c/o 2027) said the Ignition program works well with engaging with other students.

“I enjoyed meeting people. The system of the students swapping like the yellow and white groups worked really well,” Faaola-Ieremia said.

Hannah Jane Lastino (c/o 2027) said she liked the activities and that it gave her time to socialize with her friends.

“It was smaller and easier to communicate with each other and get to know their names,” Lastino said.

Class of 2027 is one of the smallest classes at McKinley. Student Activities Coordinator April Nakamura said that even though the freshmen have a smaller class size, it’s a good thing; it means the freshmen will be closer with each other.

“So spend time getting to know each other; I think this class could be a really good class,” Nakamura said. “You’re now no longer from a different school. You’re McKinley Tigers.”